Bennetts Insurance
Yam-XT.com Forum Index
Yam-XT.com
Yamaha XT660 Forum

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems logging in? Send an Email to Admin@Yam-XT.com stating your username and any error message that you get. Thanks

Chain woes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_not_andrew
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 18:07 pm    Post subject: Chain woes Reply with quote

I noticed my chain was looking a little worse for wear about 300 miles ago (currently have 10,300 miles on the stock chain and sprockets) and thought it would last till the 12k service.

While turning into a road near my village I opened up the throttle and cluck... no acceleration just a load of revs. Looked behind me and saw my chain on the tarmac smiling at me Crying or Very sad

Damage: little thankfully. I'd just been having some fun on some backroads 1 minute before. If it had snapped above 70mph it would have been messy to me and the bike.

There's some scuffing on the swingarm and some plastic missing from the chain guard but apart from that I think i got off very lightly.

Just ordered a Tsubaki x ring chain, Renthal front (1 tooth smaller), pattern rear sprocket and split link from B and C express for 90 inc delivery. Had to get the split link to put the new chain on the old sprockets which will enable me to fit the new sprockets, then ride to the garage to get them to rivett it properly.

Note to others, keep a check on your chain. If in doubt, get them replaced.
FostersMonster
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 18:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly the same thing happened to me a month or 2 ago, luckily just turning at a junction, & luckily 100 yards from me front door! back wheel locked up cos of chain being caught up and luckily again no damage!
was on 9000 miles when it happened
Lady P
Likes It Pink
Likes It Pink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 18:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parkers chain kept falling off in France (en route too) so when he came back to blighty we changed my chain to a gold x ring (yes expensive but at least it will last) so I agree, never take your chain for granted and keep it lubed and keep your eye on it....

Manami Akimoto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
matt_not_andrew
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 21:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my new chain and sprockets today - I'd never fitted a chain and sprockets before but had a go and was surprising easy (assuming you have a centre stand, 32mm socket and a long torque wrench)

Took me about an hour and a half in total, had to use a split link till I get to the garage saturday for them to rivett it but I'm happy with the result.

Look out for a thread from me about chain oilers soon - want to make this chain last longer than 10,000 miles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yam-XT.com Forum Index -> Mechanical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: