Bennetts Insurance
Yam-XT.com Forum Index
Yam-XT.com
Yamaha XT660 Forum

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems logging in? Send an Email to Admin@Yam-XT.com stating your username and any error message that you get. Thanks

Still Running it in dilema - To be or not be.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Willy Wonka Chocolate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 21:43 pm    Post subject: Still Running it in dilema - To be or not be..... Reply with quote

I've read enough now to understand that the XTX is tunable - PC this, exhaust the other, DNA/KNA, come on let's .... burn rubber!!

I'm still running the bike in and only today have I clocked up a truly magnificent 250 miles.

The question(s) :
1. Is it worth modifying in anyway during the run in period - before 600 miles ? before 1000 miles?

2. If I do, will I notice the difference?

3. If I do, what should I do - I've gone from exhausts as a starting points to DNA's - what would you do and why?

Moonshine
black dog
XT-550 Rider
XT-550 Rider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling would be to leave it as it is for at least 1000 miles. For one thing, the engine is still bedding in up to this mileage, and if you make any changes you will not know whether any improvement is the result of the change you made or the natural improvement as an engine settles down. For another, as the engine loosens up it will continue to change within itself (internal friction, temperatures, mixture etc) and if you spend £££lots on (say) a PC and a session on the dyno, the effects may well be ruined after a few hundred miles as the engine moves on, and you will have it all to do again.

Obviously, engines continue to change all their lives, but there comes a point where any further alteration is minimal, and this is when I would think any changes YOU made would be most effective. For some big diesels, this can be 10,000+ miles. For a (relatively) highly-strung bike motor, I would punt a guess at 1000 being OK.

And remember the old tuners' motto - change things one at a time! Otherwise you will never know if what you've done has worked, and what it was that you did that made a difference, IYSWIM.

Good luck.
Willy Wonka Chocolate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 21:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent response....more time to save, more interest gained.....I'll wait. Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yam-XT.com Forum Index -> Mechanical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: