Bennetts Insurance
Yam-XT.com Forum Index
Yam-XT.com
Yamaha XT660 Forum

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems logging in? Send an Email to Admin@Yam-XT.com stating your username and any error message that you get. Thanks

Installing universal hand guards - help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_not_andrew
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 20:26 pm    Post subject: Installing universal hand guards - help! Reply with quote

I bought some universal hand guards today that fit on the handlebar and in the bar ends.

The problem is that although I can remove the end weights by removing the allen bolt, the thread inside the bars need to come out for the hand guard inard to fit. Can anyone tell me how to remove the bits inside the bars?

Thanks in advance.

Matt
johnny
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 20:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bit left inside the bar is the other half of the bar end. What you should do is undo the bolt a little and then pull out both parts together.
Two options. Take the bolt out of the half you have removed and poke it into the bar end and try to get it partly screwed into the half of the bar end you've left behind.
I did the same thing to mine the first time I removed the bar ends and just laid the bike gently on its side on the ground and gave the bars a tap to dislodge the bit inside.
biggus
Forum Nerd
Forum Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 20:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you use a slide hammer on the bolt rather than lay bike on side?
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 21:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Johnny and Nerd boy.

I've just tried to remove it with some brute force but no luck. I don't have a slide hammer so thats out of the question for now. I tried using some ring spanners as spacers to try to wind them out against them but when I tried to loosen the bolt the innards get oushed back into the bar. Any ideas?

Can you guys confirm if the innards need to come out for the Yamaha guards? The universal ones cost me 25 but the bike is having its first service in 3 weeks so I could order them for then. Actually, they could even fit them for me!

I'm just wondering if they are easier to fit due to the fact that they cost so much more!

Matt
biggus
Forum Nerd
Forum Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 21:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some success with that sort of thing by using a bodge up slide hammer from a length of studding and a metal tube - like a bit of gas barrel
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 21:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tip the bike on its side and give the bars a tap. Trust me, I've done exactly the same thing and this was the easiest way to get it out. It's not attached to anything inside the bars.
matt_not_andrew
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 21:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Nerd boy - I'm going to wait till tomorrow after work when its lighter and I'll try with some WD40 and for more force (I like the idea of the makeshift slide hammer though!)

Can you confirm if you have after market gaurds or if you have the Yamaha ones? If they are the Yamaha ones, can you tell me if the process for fitting them is the same as what I'm doing now? I remember the old XT forum had the fitting document scanned but like a fool I didn't think to copy it (D'oh!)
johnny
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 21:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha ones fit in the same way as any aftermarket ones, by using the bolt from the bar end. With certain guards you can fit without the bar end but with others it will not get round the levers - which guards do you have. You may need to find a longer bolt to replace the one from the bar ends. IMHO the yamaha ones are worth the extra as they are quality acerbis items and come with all the bits and pieces needed to fit them.

Now go outside, lay the bike on its side, give the bars a tap and you can get on with fitting them.
Thumper
Spam Queen
Spam Queen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 22:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnny wrote:
Now go outside, lay the bike on its side, give the bars a tap and you can get on with fitting them.

That is idiotic, advising people to put the bike down. We live in an American state here, you could easily end up with a lawsuit against you for a damaged motorcycle or a bad back as YOU advised someone to put their bike on the floor.

To remove the bar ends you do NOT need to lay the bike down.

Unscrew the bar end, re-screw the bolt into the threaded part inside the bar and just yank it with a set of good strong molegrips. Ideally it should just slide out but may need some "gentle" persuasion.
Parker
YZ-250 Rider
YZ-250 Rider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 22:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm molegrips and a hammer a mechanics best friend.

www.lasoumaille.me.uk

www.pborobikers.com
johnny
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 23:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumper wrote:

That is idiotic, advising people to put the bike down. We live in an American state here, you could easily end up with a lawsuit against you for a damaged motorcycle or a bad back as YOU advised someone to put their bike on the floor.

I sincerely hope that you're joking.
black dog
XT-550 Rider
XT-550 Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 13:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late for a reply to this thread, but here goes!

If the bar ends fit to the bars in the same way that bar-end mirrors do (some kind of expanding cone arrangement), it's much the same as dealing with the handlebar nut on a bicycle. These can be absolute b*stards to take out - you undo the end bolt OK, but the inner bits just won't move. Very simple trick:

Undo the end bolt by about 2 turns - enough to give a bit of clearance but leave plenty of thread in the fitting. Then gently tap the bolt inwards with a light hammer. This dislodges the inner fitting by effectively moving it in the direction that loosens it (pulling on the end bolt just makes it tighter). Once it's loose, it should just lift out. I've done this lots with those bar-end mirrors you used to get.

If the tightening mechanism is different, then this is a load of irrelevant b*llocks, of course, in which case please ignore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yam-XT.com Forum Index -> Chassis All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: