Bennetts Insurance
Yam-XT.com Forum Index
Yam-XT.com
Yamaha XT660 Forum

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems logging in? Send an Email to Admin@Yam-XT.com stating your username and any error message that you get. Thanks

Paint work deterioration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
davros
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 22:54 pm    Post subject: Paint work deterioration Reply with quote

Hi all
After checking over the bike in bright sunshine i noticed that the paint work on the tail end and the right tank panel has a crazed look about it.its a 2004 grey.has any one else had this problem?.i'm going to the yam dealer tomorrow to see if the warranty covers it.[img][/img]
Alan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Davros,
Have a look at the front underside of your fuel tank, if you turn your handle bars to one side and look above your horn.
My tank is rusty on both sides and its only 9 months old with 1300 miles on the clock.
I have only been caught in the rain once.
Thumper
Spam Queen
Spam Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The build quality is APPALLING.

My engine paint was flaking off in chunks at 2,500 miles. Corrosion then took over, then rust, then paintwork.

I found the worst was where my knees rubbed on the tank panels. It went into a matt finish so I resprayed the bike and put tonns of lacquer on it.

The paint also seems to go "soft" in hot weather.

On a hot day I strapped a tailpack onto my bike. It really wasnt strapped tightly at all. When I removed it there were huge "dents" in the paintwork where the soft paint had given and the bungees had left dents in the paint.

Decals.... went through 3 sets on my XTX coz they just fell off or washed off.
Tassos
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 13:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint work deterioration Reply with quote

davros wrote:
Hi all
After checking over the bike in bright sunshine i noticed that the paint work on the tail end and the right tank panel has a crazed look about it.its a 2004 grey.has any one else had this problem?.i'm going to the yam dealer tomorrow to see if the warranty covers it.[img][/img]

I also have the same problem on the tail plastic, cause when I get off the bike, I sometimes touch it slightly with my shoe. I have resprayed it with clear varnish and it seemed OK for sometime, but it seems that it has happened again.

Paint, decal and plastics quality really sucks. Sad
davros
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 14:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint work deterioration Reply with quote

davros wrote:
Hi all

The yam dealer said they will replace the tail and right tank panel.they recon it could be sun or chemical damage.but havn't seen this type of dammage before.i think its sun damage as i only use good cleaning products.the tail definitely gets softer in hot weather.
nobby
YZ-250 Rider
YZ-250 Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan wrote:
Hi Davros,
Have a look at the front underside of your fuel tank, if you turn your handle bars to one side and look above your horn.
My tank is rusty on both sides and its only 9 months old with 1300 miles on the clock.
I have only been caught in the rain once.

Check this out http://yam-xt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=330
both Willy & I have had our tank's replaced with repainted new tank's Cool
so if you are not happy take it back to the dealer & insist they do somthing about it & dont take no for an answer.The more people that do will make it easier for everyone else as a preicident has been set Wink
Hope this help's Wink

Last edited by nobby on Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:53 am; edited 1 time in total
willy1818
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nobby
I am still waiting to have mine replaced! I dropped the bike off at the dealer on the 25th May and the new tank finally arrived last friday 30th June now i have to wait to have it put back together, should have it back late this week!!!!!!!
To say i am not happy would be an understatement.
It took Yamaha 3 weeks to approve the swap and they had the tank all that time so i couldn't even use it while the made up there minds

Michael
davros
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 21:37 pm    Post subject: plastics update.DOH! Reply with quote

Hi all
I finally got my new panels.which were the left side tank and the rear tail which i had replaced under warranty.As i said in my first post they had suffered from fading /crazing.
But very annoyingly when fitting i soon discovered that the brand new plastics were a different shade of grey to my existing right side panel .plus them being brand new make my bike look two tone DOH!.
So i either pay up for a new right tank panel &decals ,which i feel i shouldn't have too or try and argue the case with Yamaha again.
pain in the a**e
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yam-XT.com Forum Index -> Chassis All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: