Bennetts Insurance
Yam-XT.com Forum Index
Yam-XT.com
Yamaha XT660 Forum

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems logging in? Send an Email to Admin@Yam-XT.com stating your username and any error message that you get. Thanks

Seat lock f**ked! Help required urgently

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt_not_andrew
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 18:52 pm    Post subject: Seat lock f**ked! Help required urgently Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm having some issues with the seat lock on my XTR

The key won't turn in the lock anymore (bike less that 6 month old and I lube the lock with WD40 after every wash)

I noticed the lock was stiff last week so instead of risking breaking my key I had a new one cut. Just tried that one today and managed to bend the key! Just as well I took the precaution.

Can anyone help with with this. I called Yamaha in Brackley and all they said was: "we lube all locks when we service our bikes - most people don't!"

I've got an enduro day coming up and all my tools and tyre levers are stuck under my seat. I desperately need to change the rear tyre before next friday. Any one got any ideas on how to get the seat off without the lock working? I'm not sure if it's the lock being stuck or if some of the plactic bag that my Phone goes in is stuck in the mechanism.

Matt
johnny
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 19:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really help with the complex stuff, but have you tryed pushing down at the rear of the seat while turning the key? It takes the strain off the locking mechanism. Other than that, my tactic would be copious amounts of wd40, and then as a last resort a lock smith. (Or may be a hammer, screwdriver and a call to the parts department of your dealer).

One other thing. How do you get so much stuff under the seat?
matt_not_andrew
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 19:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be surprised how much you can get under the seat.

I had 2 full sized spanners for the rear wheel, puncture repair kit (basic), 2 plastic rim protectors, roll of electrical tape, 2 mid sized tyre levers, spare original gear lever and a plastic bag for my mobile phone and money when it rains. Oh, and I still have the original tool kit in there too!

Before you say it, the seat closed fine last time. When I get the bugger open I'll take a picture and post it.

I think the plastic bag (heavy duty) may have got stuck in the lock mechanism. I use the bike off road a lot and need to carry as many spares as possible cause it's a long walk down the lanes to call the AA!

I'm going to take it to a locksmith tomorrow and then try Yamaha on Monday! Hope it works!
Lady P
Likes It Pink
Likes It Pink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 20:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep us posted and let us know what happens.....

Manami Akimoto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
greasedweasle
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 23:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fiddle with locks a little bit. Try with 2 people. One of you turns the key very gently. Maybe on off on off, but gently. Anything to do with locks is GENTLE pressure. Do not force.
The second person applies steady pressure to the seat. Again on off on off pressure may be required. Don't forget the seat has to lift up out of the lock when it is turned. Hopefully, if it is only a plastic bag jammed in it this method will release it. (it worked for me when I jammed my gortex jacket in it).
The next one to try is as you turn the key applying steady but gentle pressure, your second person thumps the rear of the seat. Make 2 fists and drum on the seat using both hands, gradually increase the speed and force used, trying to bounce the seat out of the blockage.
Sorry but without being there I can't offer any more advice.
None of the above will work if the lock is broken.

Hope this helps

Benkei Furusawa

Amane Motoori (Japanese Motorcycle Rider)
matt_not_andrew
XT-125 Rider
XT-125 Rider

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 13:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the lock sorted yesterday.

Looks like the lock mechanism had some crund in there and prevented the key from going all the way it. I got a locksmith out and he cleaned it with some tiny wire brushes. Cost me 30 in the end but now that I got all my tools out I was able to get the wheel off to change the tyre.

Now I have my MT21 rear tyre on so next weekends enduro run will be a lot easier. I'm trying to convince my girlfriend to come with me as my support crew! Hope she can get some pictures and video of my bike - I'll get them posted if I can.

Thanks again for the messages of support.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yam-XT.com Forum Index -> Chassis All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: