Bennetts Insurance
Yam-XT.com Forum Index
Yam-XT.com
Yamaha XT660 Forum

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems logging in? Send an Email to Admin@Yam-XT.com stating your username and any error message that you get. Thanks

Cheap Suspension Improvement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnny
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 17:34 pm    Post subject: Cheap Suspension Improvement Reply with quote

My fork leg cracked round the pinch bolts a couple of weeks ago (I never touched them honest, neither did my torque wrench unfortunately). Anyway, the dealer got me the new version without the countersinking within a couple of days and I got them fitted yesterday. As the bikes done 10,000 miles they changed the oil in the other fork as well so they were even.

I was tempted to get some new springs but after chatting with some people more knowledgeable then myself (they do really exist, I thought it was a myth), I decided not to as the forks weren't bottoming out and all I wanted to do was take away some of the bounciness. So I got the garage to replace the original 10w oil with some 12.5w oil.

Well the difference is amazing. None of the lairy front end when braking into bumpy corners or hitting bumps while cranked over and it tracks a line much better.

So I can definitely recommend doing this. Fork oil is only 10 or so quid and the if you can do it yourself you won't have to fork (fnar fnar!) out for labour either. Fork oil should be replaced every couple of years anyway so if you've put a few miles on your xtx it's worth doing just as part of the routine maintenance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yam-XT.com Forum Index -> Suspensions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: