Bennetts Insurance
Yam-XT.com Forum Index
Yam-XT.com
Yamaha XT660 Forum

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems logging in? Send an Email to Admin@Yam-XT.com stating your username and any error message that you get. Thanks

Rear Shock Absorber

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dicky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Rear Shock Absorber Reply with quote

Hi all. Picked up my XT660R the other day. second hand with 4500kms on the clock. After the 200 mile journey home with the wife on the back we found that the rear damper was clapped out, ie no damping. Seems as if the air/oil has leaked out. Anybody had similar problems with such a low mileage? Hoping to get a replacement under warranty but this is Turkey so that may not be plain sailing. Any after market shockers that would do the job better without costing the earth??

Many thanks,

Dicky
Lady P
Likes It Pink
Likes It Pink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what has happened to your shock but I know Johnny has put a Hagon shock on his and he loves it.. I know it wasnt too expensive (it caused a bit of a debate!!!!!) He would be the man to ask about the shock... My ohlins on that goes on in winter wont be tried and tested until spring so I will have to wait to give you an update on that....

Manami Akimoto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
johnny
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 19:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hagon are well worth a call. I'm sure they will be able to sort you out. They cost about 250 (375 euros I think). I don't think that the original is rebuildable but it might be worth a go if you know someone who does that sort of work. It would also be worth a call to yamaha or your local dealer to see if they can sort you out a new one on the warranty. I wouldn't hold my breath though as they'll probaly say it's down to neglect by the previous owner. Good luck.
dicky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lady P and Johny. Will initially try the warranty route. The bike is spotless and has been serviced to schedule. Seller had too many toys and not enough time so the Yam had to go.

Looking out the window it's 30 degrees C with a clear blue sky. Better take the coast road and have a chat with the dealer then!!

Anyone want me to fax them an ice cream?
Lady P
Likes It Pink
Likes It Pink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes please vanilla with a flake and strawberry sauce please.....

Manami Akimoto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dicky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After comparing my bike to that of a German friend and taking a few measurements it was found that the rear shocker suspension arms on my bike were 3 cm's longer than his. Seems the pesky critter who sold me the bike had used the longer connecting arms to reduce seat height by 10cm on the highest suspension setting in order to get his feet on the floor. Would have been nice for him to tell me w2hen he sold me the bike!!!

Yamaha Turkey have no spare shock absorbers and it would have taken a couple of months to source one from Europe, apparently. Anway, face is now cleaned of egg. Original spec connecting arms are being fabricated and off we'll go.

have fun,

Dicky
dicky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I found the cause of my suspension woes I e-mailed Hagon Shocks to see if they did a replacement shock for an XT660R. They said they did not but would like to. Their offer was that if I left the bike with them for a week they would use it as a test bed and run up a new shock which they could then add to their fitment list. For 100 as against the normal 255 I could have a custom made shock. If anyone is interested you might wish to contact Pete Leech at Hagon Shocks (e-mail address on their website) to see if this offer is transferable. I told Pete that both me and the bike are in Turkey otherwise I would have bitten his hand off.

Shocks away!!!
dicky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I found the cause of my suspension woes I e-mailed Hagon Shocks to see if they did a replacement shock for an XT660R. They said they did not but would like to. Their offer was that if I left the bike with them for a week they would use it as a test bed and run up a new shock which they could then add to their fitment list. For 100 as against the normal 255 I could have a custom made shock. If anyone is interested you might wish to contact Pete Leech at Hagon Shocks (e-mail address on their website) to see if this offer is transferable. I told Pete that both me and the bike are in Turkey otherwise I would have bitten his hand off.

Shocks away!!!
dicky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocks away!!!
johnny
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 21:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I had done last year. They obviously don't realise that the xtx and r and the same rear shock wise. Someone should take them up on the offer before they realise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yam-XT.com Forum Index -> Suspensions All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: