Bennetts Insurance
Yam-XT.com Forum Index
Yam-XT.com
Yamaha XT660 Forum

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems logging in? Send an Email to Admin@Yam-XT.com stating your username and any error message that you get. Thanks

HOW CAN WE SHAVE WEIGHT OFF THESE HEAVY XT660's?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
strat
Older newbie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: HOW CAN WE SHAVE WEIGHT OFF THESE HEAVY XT660's? Reply with quote

So what have you lot done to shave weight off your bike Question
Any hints and tips, because at 175kg these bikes are about 10-20kg too heavy Exclamation

cheers, strat.
Lady P
Likes It Pink
Likes It Pink

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 13:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Massive difference is the cans....

Manami Akimoto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
davros
PW-50 Rider
PW-50 Rider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 21:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take off the pillion foot pegs if your not going to use them,and you could always go down the gym.
strat
Older newbie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 0:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Lady P,
I had an e-mail from the makers of G-Force exhausts today, they make some of the lightest exhausts available, they stated that each original Yamaha exhaust weighs approx 9kg each Shocked
Their stainless steel version weighs only 2.2kg Exclamation and their Carbon & Titanium cans only weigh 1.5kg each Exclamation Exclamation
Each link pipe and fittings weigh 1kg each, so for 287 race or 338 road legal & removable baffle I can loose approx 11.5kg.
Pretty much the same as a years Gym membership Wink

Anybody tried these pipes yet Question

Also does anybody know of a standard sized plastic petrol tank that will take Yamaha's standard plastics as I don't fancy the 20 odd litre plastic one that "OTR" sell Question

cheers, strat.
Powerflow Justin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have removed pillion pegs both sides, rear grab handles and complete number plate holder and then moved rear indicators forward and above exhaust cans using the original mounting holes for grab handles.

All of the above stuff that was removed weighs 3 kg and I have a set of LeoVince pipes on mine which are much lighter than standard so I guess my bike is about 10 kg lighter than stock.

I also race bicycles and cars and follow a very simple mantra - more power and less weight = better performance.

The XT660 is FAT and lardy when compared to other motards like the KTM and Husqvarna but it is supremely comfortable when compared with these.

The XT's weight downfall, in my opinion, is its heavy steel frame and heavy motor.

If somebody here knows a way we can drop lots more weight please speak up

Off to a track day at Killarney race track in Cape Town South Africa tomorrow to do some superbike baiting - they blow me away on the straights but come the corners and the brakes I am all over them like white on rice.

Cheers
Lady P
Likes It Pink
Likes It Pink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, racing how cool, if you could put some pics up of you racing that would be fab. Have fun and win win win..... Cool

Manami Akimoto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yam-XT.com Forum Index -> Chassis All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: