Bennetts Insurance
Yam-XT.com Forum Index
Yam-XT.com
Yamaha XT660 Forum

AlbumAlbum  FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems logging in? Send an Email to Admin@Yam-XT.com stating your username and any error message that you get. Thanks

Helmet recommendations (stop sniggering at the back there)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yam-XT.com Forum Index -> Products and reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
black dog
XT-550 Rider
XT-550 Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Helmet recommendations (stop sniggering at the back there) Reply with quote

OK - I've just looked inside my Shoei full-face for the model number. I wanted to check if spare visors were still available (answer: no). There was a little sticker in there with the build date. Er ... 1990. That makes the helmet 16-17 years old. But it's almost new!!! I remember buying it!!!

I don't know if helmets have a working life, but I would guess the Shoei is past it, even though it has been stored in dry and dark conditions for the last 10 years. So - any recommendations for a replacement?

The most important thing is misting up. I seem to breathe a lot whilst riding (I always reckoned it was quite a Good Idea) and I've always had a problem with misting - I normally ride with the visor slighly open, which give me watery eyes but lets me see through the visor. One of the Bike mag road Testers claimed recently that his Arai (race-style FF) didn't mist up - ever. I like the sound of that. I've seen the Arai Tour-X - can anyone who owns one comment?

Can anyone with any helmet recommendations comment? All advice appreciated.

And before you ask, mine is white, not purple.
golis
YZ-250 Rider
YZ-250 Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 16:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omfg !
16 years old ? Are you sure ?
I thought that helmets have a life time of aprox. 5-6 years...
No matter if its been used or not.Something like the tyres.
The materials that where used to make it, wear off as time goes by.
Confused Question
black dog
XT-550 Rider
XT-550 Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 17:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I'm certain Cool

There's no doubt about the age - I bought it 90/91 when I got my second XT350. I'm not surprised at what you say - I've read somewhere that the service life of a helmet is as little as three years, but I reckon that's probably a helmet manufacturer talking! Still, 16/17 years is probably pushing it a bit. And with a thing like a helmet, you don't want to find out it's U/S the hard way.

Better start saving up.
strat
Older newbie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 19:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a modern Shoei and it is very light, but very noisey you need to wear ear plugs unlike old Shoeis Confused
It also mists up a lot and you need to ride in town with the visor up, ok out of town though.
I would get a MX lid with goggles but I need glasses for riding/driving these days Rolling Eyes
Arai helmets are ok if you have an Arai shaped head Shocked If you find a Shoei comfortable I dought you will find an Arai comfy, probably be tight across the forehead Exclamation

strat.
black dog
XT-550 Rider
XT-550 Rider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 21:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strat wrote:
I've got a modern Shoei and it is very light, but very noisey you need to wear ear plugs unlike old Shoeis Confused
It also mists up a lot and you need to ride in town with the visor up, ok out of town though.
I would get a MX lid with goggles but I need glasses for riding/driving these days Rolling Eyes
Arai helmets are ok if you have an Arai shaped head Shocked If you find a Shoei comfortable I dought you will find an Arai comfy, probably be tight across the forehead Exclamation

strat.

The (old) Shoei is fairly quiet on this bike (the fairing on my last bike, a GSX750F made it deafening, ear plugs essential). But you have reminded me that great helmet deals on the interweb are one thing, but you have to try it on to be sure of being comfy.
Theo
XT-660 Rider
XT-660 Rider

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 23:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.motocard.com/

very good prices for Shoei helmets.
black dog
XT-550 Rider
XT-550 Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 14:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, bit the bullet and went for a new one. I couldn't afford an Arai (and was told the Tour-X was noisy) and in the end I had to get whatever they had in my size (I gotta big 'un, you know). I ended up with a Caberg full-face. It's quite comfy and a little more draughty than the old Shoei, but the visor has not misted up, and I have been riding in the rain for 40 minutes with it shut tight down. I have NEVER been able to do that with a helmet before, so I am well pleased. Plus it has a dinky little lever that drops a Buzz Aldrin-stylee black visor down inside the main one. I reckon that's well cool. All for under a ton, which I am quite pleased with. A girl at work who rides an XV has bought one on the strength of seeing mine. Thanks for the advice guys.
Lady P
Likes It Pink
Likes It Pink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 17:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello BD, sorry I never noticed your original post and have just got up to speed on it, great news you have a helmet to fit and you like it but when there is good news you know there is going to be bad news, Caberg are not very good helmets yes I know they pass all the regs (to be honest they are crap anyway) but they are made out of plastic and your shelf life is only 12 months. I am sorry I didnt notice your post otherwise I would have said stay away from Caberg and go for ones like Shoei, AGV, Suomy or Arai. Well you have something for 12 months anyway, I know Caberg are bringing out a new helmet at some point this year and they are made of ish the same compound as the big boy helmets and they are going to retail at about 170. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.... Crying or Very sad

Manami Akimoto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
black dog
XT-550 Rider
XT-550 Rider

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 21:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! To be honest, I'm not too bothered. At 99, it's not the end of the world if it needs to be replaced in a year or so, and even if it's plastic (do you mean polycarbonate?) it has to be better protection than a 17-year-old fibreglass one. Just the fact that the visor is mist-free makes it safer overall, I reckon.

What I will do is use the time between now and then to do a bit of research and if I see one that suits, I'll get it. This one was a bit of a distress purchase, which is never a good idea. Over the next 12 months I am sure to be near a bigger supplier who can find me something better which will suit my strange cranium.

I also quite fancy an open face one for the summer ...

We'll see. Thanks for replying. Do I take it (shows ignorance) that you work in the trade?
Lady P
Likes It Pink
Likes It Pink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello BD, yes I used to work in the trade (motorbikes) but now work for a major high street bank.... But still remembered all the info.....

Manami Akimoto
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Yam-XT.com Forum Index -> Products and reviews All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: